Vision of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
The Dubai Health Authority’s mission is to transform Dubai into a leading healthcare destination by fostering innovative and integrated care models and by enhancing community engagement. The introduction of HCV (Hepatitis B & C) and BASMAH (cancer screening and treatment fund) patient support programs places Dubai in the very front of the ranking of best places in the world to have access to quality healthcare.
What are HCV and BASMAH patient support programs?
- Since January 2018, expats based in Dubai with the Essential Benefits Plan (EBP) receive coverage for three types of cancer treatment (Breast Cancer, Colorectal Cancer & Cervical Cancer) and Hepatitis (B & C ) under the new patient support programs.
- Patient Support Programs (PSP) are funded to help the insured resident members in the Emirate of Dubai, to get access to quality health care, necessary drugs, screenings, and treatments.
The Basmah Program for cancer is only available for
- Insured members holding a residence visa issued from the Emirate of Dubai with validity of not less than one year
- The mandate for coverage of Cancer is applicable only for insured LSB members, holding valid insurance policies or policies issued after the launch date of the mandate, with diagnosis of Cervical, Breast or Colorectal cancer, subject to eligibility and treatment criteria being satisfied
- The above would apply for existing and new residents in the Emirate of Dubai who are not diagnosed with cancer before entering the country.
- Existing and new residents who were diagnosed with cancer prior to entering the country will become eligible for enrolment only after one year of residence in UAE.
- Eligibility for enrollment into the program will be based only on confirmed Diagnosis from the Centre of Excellence(CoE)
The Hepatisis B & C Program is available for
- All insured members holding a residence permit issued from the Emirate of Dubai with a validity of not less than one year
- The mandate for coverage of Hepatitis B and C is applicable only for all insured members , holding valid policies issued after the launch date of the mandate, subject to eligibility and treatment criteria being met
- The mandate would apply for existing residents and new residents in Dubai who were not diagnosed with Hepatitis B or C before entering the country. Existing and new residents who were diagnosed with Hepatitis B or C prior to entering the country will become eligible for enrollment only after one year of residence
- Eligibility for enrollment into the program will be based only on confirmed Diagnosis from the Centre of Excellence (CoE)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Hepatitis B and C & BASMAH Patient Support Program?
The Patient Support Program is a program launched by the Dubai Health Authorities (DHA) as part of the UAE 2021 vision and Dubai Standards of Care. It aims to reduce cancer mortality & eradication of Hepatitis from Dubai.
- Which type of cancers are covered under Basmah Patient Support Program?
The Basmah Patient Support program covers Cervical, Breast and Colorectal cancers.
- What is the aim of the Patient Support Program?
The aim of the Patient Support Program is to provide seamless, equal, and fair access to screening, healthcare services, investigations, and treatments related to the three types of cancer & Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C for all residents of Dubai basis upon the eligibility criteria.
- Who has launched the Patient Support Program and why?
The Patient Support Program has been launched by the Dubai Health Authorities (DHA) in alignment with the UAE 2021 vision and Dubai Standards of Care. It is launched to address the goal of reducing cancer mortality & eradication of Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C from Dubai.
- Who is eligible to enroll under the Patient Support Program?
For enrolling into the DHA Patient Support Program, the member must fulfil the below requirements:
-He/She must have a valid DHA compliant Insurance policy
-He/She must hold a valid Dubai resident Visa
-He/She must belong to LSB category (where salary is less than 4000)
-He/She must have completed one year of residency
-Insured member with symptoms/already diagnosed with cancer shall be given the choice for enrolment into the program only once at the beginning of the treatment and/or when the Insurance company is notified about the confirmed diagnosis of cancer
- What is the process for screening for the three types of Cancer & Hepatitis B & C under the program?
Screening is covered within the network upon diagnosis of the related medical condition and the related service is offered by the insurer, both public and private health service providers, for high-risk cases as defined in the DHA guidelines. It requires written preapproval, and later confirmatory screening tests are covered only in Centers of Excellence.
- Can treatment for the Hepatitis B /Hepatitis C & Cancer be received outside the Centers of Excellence (COEs)?
No, treatment under the Patient Support Program is only available at the Centers of Excellence (COEs). To receive treatment, individuals must be enrolled in the program through the insurer.
- When can existing residents and new residents in Dubai enroll in the support program?
Existing residents and new residents in Dubai can enroll in the support program only after completing one year of residence.
- What is the coverage limit for treatment covered under the program?
Coverage for treatment under the program is up to the annual limit, without any sublimit. It is subject to direct billing only. Member can avail this facility under direct billing.
- What happens if a pre-existing condition is not declared during the application?
If a pre-existing condition is not declared during the application, it may lead to denial of coverage for the condition. It is important to supply accurate and complete information during the application process.
11.Who determines the guidelines for high-risk patients and screening?
The guidelines for high-risk patients and screening are decided by the Dubai Health Authorities (DHA). These guidelines outline the criteria for finding high-risk cases and the recommended screening procedures.
- What are the general terms and conditions for enrolling in the PSP?
The general terms and conditions for enrolling in the PSP include being a resident of Dubai with a valid residency permit issued by Dubai. The individual should not have been diagnosed with any of the disease covered under Patient Support Program before entering the country & the member shall have completed one year of residency in Dubai
- Can an insured person choose to enroll in the program after the beginning of treatment?
No, enrollment in the program is not allowed after the beginning of treatment. To benefit from the Patient Support Program, individuals need to be enrolled before starting their treatment against any of the listed disease under the Patient Support Program.
- Can an insured person enroll in the program at a later stage if they initially chose to remain out?
No, once an insured person chooses not to enroll in the program initially, they cannot enroll at a later stage. Enrollment needs to be done before the beginning of treatment.
- Is the mandate for coverage applicable to existing and new policies?
Yes, the mandate for coverage under the Patient Support Program applies to both existing and new policies. All eligible members are entitled to the benefits outlined in the program.
To know more about the Patient Support Program Workflow Process, Click here.